17 October 2020 / Club News


2015 – 2016             

Maesteg Quins 17 – 41 Dunvant      

SWALEC Plate Round One

It seems the running rugby displays at this Rugby World Cup, inspired the players that took to the field for both teams in this SWALEC Plate first round match. It was similar to the Argentina / Ireland game. There were excellent movements and tries, with Dunvant taking advantage of a poor Quins start and uncharacteristically weak home tackling, before weathering a period of Quins dominance and finally adding greater gloss to their victory at the end.

West One league leaders Dunvant raced into a 15-nil lead and then extended it to twenty-two points by half time. Initially they didn’t really have to do anything. Even though visiting scrum half Andrew Lewis caused a whole manner of problems around the scrum, releasing his backs and keeping his forwards bubbling.

Quins’ high error count surrendered promising attacking positions and gave the Swansea suburbanites scoring opportunities which they gratefully accepted.

Lewis kicked a penalty and converted his own seventy yards interception try, before the Quins failed to realign, allowing right wing Tom Davies to cross in the corner.

The Quins rallied at this point and spent time in the opposing half. Awarded a kickable penalty, their chance to gain a foothold on the scoreboard was lost due to a pointless, petulant incident that saw the penalty reversed and a yellow card reduce their numbers.

Despite a great Quins effort they couldn’t breach the visiting defence and with minutes of the first half remaining, Dunvant full-back Mike Evans burst through gaping holes and limp tackles to cross the line. Lewis converted.

With the stiff wind now at their backs the Quins launched a series of major assault from all quarters of the field, in a greatly improved second half performance. Such was the ferocity of their start, some of the Dunvant faithful were worrying whether their score plus two of points was enough.

A driving maul saw Lewis Tutt score in the corner. Then a superb long range movement in which the ball went through multiple pairs of hands was rounded off with a fine dummy and drive over the line by second row Scott Williams. Ieuan Evans converted.

Fortune slightly favoured Dunvant on two occasions. Although excellent kicks, the bounces cruelly left the Quins flat footed, allowing left wing Mark Richards to score and then livewire open-side Luke Buckley to round off a kick ahead and follow-up.

On the other hand, the Quins were out of luck. Two superb move from deep in their own half took them within feet of the Dunvant line. Despite being worthy of a score, on both occasions the Quins couldn’t quite get what the moves deserved.

Things took a turn for the worse. Debutant Josh Mines had a debut to remember. Breaking open the Dunvant defence with a couple of good runs and holding firm in defence, the centre was then given his marching orders for his tough tackle being adjudged to have been something more sinister by referee Rob Price, who otherwise had the vast majority of his calls correct.

Owain Roberts went on a brilliant run but was held up over the line. Throughout the match the scrums were unpredictable, with both teams dominant at some point. Prop debutant Kyle Jeffries made a sound start. Uber veteran Lee Sparrow gave his opposite number a master class in old fashioned grunt and grind, while Tom Matthews continues to impress. From the five yards scrum the Quins pack pushed Dunvant back at a rate of knots. Outstanding Quins performer Rhodri Bwye drove over for a deserved try.

To round off the scoring the Quins defence went AWOL once more, as outside half Richard Lewis waltzed and weaved his way past a host of defenders to score under the posts and his namesake Andrew to take his match tally to sixteen points.

Saturday 24th sees title protagonists Ammanford visit South Parade.

15. Owain Roberts 14. Lewis Nolan 13. Alex Griffiths 12. Lee Ronan 11. Ieuan Evans (C) 10. Lloyd Bradley 9. Mark Minchington 1. Tom Matthews 2. Jay Ronan 3. Kyle Jeffries 4. Steven Davies​ 5. Scott Williams (T) 6. Lewis Tutt (T) 8. Rhodri Bwye (T) 7. Steve Williams (c)

16. Lee Sparrow 17. J Mines 18. Aled Evans 19. Gavin Burridge


Maesteg Quins 27 – 7 Brynamman       

WRU Division 3 South-West

Fixture number seven. All seven league matches; all seven losses… until today.

Quins broke their duck with a win over the ‘Greens’ with skipper Rhodri Roberts leading the way with a try double.

Swansea University student was encouraged to join a struggling Quins team by Dan Tabor and Ashley Hollingsworth. He took his place in the second row.

This bonus point victory was hoped to signal a change in fortunes. Only time would tell.

15. Geraint Evans 14. A. Leighton (T) 13. Matthew Hart 12. Wayne Stokes 11. Dale Roberts 10. Gareth Lewis (2C PG) 9. Michael Wyatt (T) 1. Dan Tabor 2. Rhys Davies 3. Ashley Hollingsworth 4. Carl Roberts 5. Kareem El Kanouni 6. Lewis Tutt 8. Rhodri Roberts (c) (2T) 7. Chris Davies

16. C. Cody 17. K. Quigley 18. R. Teesdale 19. Steven David


Maesteg Quins II 23 – 18 Old Penarthians II

Replacements made all the difference in this match. It does help when one is a player on the cusp of the first XV and in a rich vein of form and the other, is a Maesteg player returning from injury and looking for some time out on the field.

Rhys Williams make is a touch-down double and Robbie Morris added the single five-pointer to make telling contributions.

15. Chris Reffell 14. Steve Nicolls 13. Justin Cahill 12. Gareth Jones 11. Scott Rastitis 10. Gareth Evans (C 2PG) 9. Rhys Milsom 1. Lee Powell 2. Tyrone Pritchard 3. Anthony Dawkins 4. Huw Beedle 5. James Washbourne 6. Ryan Tamlyn 8. Peter Jenkins 7. Cai Davies 16. Steve Wills 17. Robbie Morris (T) 18. Rhys Williams (2T) 19. D. Williams 20.J. Blair


Cwmafan 25 -13 Maesteg Quins             

WRU Div 6 Central

15. Richard Brace 14. Nathan Williams 13. A. Rossiter 12. Andrew Winston 11. Mark Powys 10. Martin Wilkshire (C 2PG) 9. Kane Williams 1. Darren Johnson 2. Shane Williams 3. Gareth Bowen 4. Ryan David 5. Terry Adams 6. Chris Davies 8. Peter Jenkins 7. Simon Lyons 16. Geraint Harvey 17. Mark Petty 18. Lee Sparrow 19. Andrew Kidger 20. Darren Jones 21. Darren Phelps (T) 22. Neil Davies


Llantwit Major II 25 – 20 Maesteg Quins II

15. Lee Jones 14. Leon Crowe 13. Ioan Smith 12. Leighton Walters 11. Gavin Thomas 10. Jonathon Vincent (T C PG) 9. Geraint Jones 1. Nigel Howe 2. David Jenkins (c) 3. Dai Berry 4. Peter Simmons 5. M. Stolzenburg 6. Cai Davies 8. Anthony Dawkins 7. Justin Davies

16. Lindon Jenkins 17. Derek Adams 18. Paul Edwards (T) 19. Jason King (T) 20. Jason Thomas

1992 – 1993             

Maesteg Quins 26 – 25 Porthcawl

This match witnessed one of the greatest Quins comebacks. Trailing by 25 – 7 at half time Porthcawl appeared to have the game in the bag despite a moderate gust favouring the team attacking the Pwll-yr-Iwrch end.

Step by tough step the Quins kept the Seagulls at bay, while adding to their own score on a regular basis, to the beat of Ryan John’s metronomic boot.

Making his Quins 1st XV debut was former Celtic forward Keith ‘Beefy’ Jones who, despite his status of ‘recent arrival’, throughout the second half vociferously convinced the Quins they could win while simultaneously persuading Porthcawl they could lose.

When Ryan John nailed his fourth penalty from forty metres to put the Quins a single point ahead, there were a few minutes of play remaining. Apart from the restart the Gulls never re-entered the Quins half. The result was an absolute triumph for the Quins, as they picked up their performance to rack up nineteen unanswered points and claim a remarkable victory.

15. Tim Williams 14. John Tidball (T) 13. Jason Page 12. Andrew Rossiter 11. Mark Page (T) 10. Ryan John (2C 4PG) 9. Darren Williams 1. Andrew Kidger 2. Shane Williams 3. Dai Berry 4. Terry Adams 5. Lester Jones 6. Keith Jones 8. Charles Ruffell (c) 7. Simon Lyons

Replacements 16. Andrew Lewis 17.  Gary Dawkins


Dunvant 40 – 6 Maesteg Quins

WRU Schweppes Cup

Twenty-seven years prior to the 2015 Dunvant Welsh Plate match, Quins travelled to Broadacre to challenge the Swansea suburbanites in the Welsh Cup.

In one of the few games to be played that Saturday due to a prolonged period of heavy rain.

It started so well for the Quins. Within two minutes Peter Jenkins was in at the bottom left hand corner. Andrew James converted for an early 0-six lead.

Dunvant were a team on the up and on their ascent of the leagues to reach the top division. The lead didn’t last long. For the rest of the game a steady stream of scoring resulting a convincing home win.

Post-match was a laugh a minute affair with singers, speciality acts such as the ‘Lollipop Guild’ that could have graced any music hall stage earlier in the century. Star of the show was Phillip ‘Moss the Man of Many Voices’ Evans who wowed the packed clubhouse with his… “many” voices.

Such was the frivolity, Dunvant decided it would be a good idea to re-establish fixtures with the Quins a month short of a full decade earlier. It was another fine club to add to an ever improving fixture list.

15. Derek Richards 14. David Phillips 13. Wayne Whelan 12. Lyndon Philip 11. Mark Page 10. Andrew James (C) 9. Geraint Jones 1. Mark Handley 2. David Jenkins 3. Steve Cody 4. David Pszenycznyj 5. Darren Phillips 6. Steve Gentle 8. Gary Dawkins (c) 7. Peter Jenkins (T)


Maesteg Quins 13-8 Bryn Wanderers

Brewers Cup Round 1

It is sad that villages such as Bryn do not have their rugby team. Declining populations, ageing demographics, cars even are part of the reasons for the reduction of rugby clubs.

Producers of many a fine player who advanced to play at far higher levels than the club’s Junior Union status, flanker Rob Lewis being just one of those wholehearted salt of the earth players who went on to represent Maesteg and Aberafan. They were stern opponents. Our own Cameron Jones’ dad Gary, a talented half-back in his own right, emanated from the club. His uncle Dean played centre for a very strong South Wales Police side is another.

Still, back to 1981 and that stern test arrived as anticipated. It was the Quins’ superior discipline and ability to kick their goals that separated the teams. Peter G. Evans put his left boot to good use on the right hand side of the field and Ralph Turner who, as you would expect from someone who has achieved proper ‘legendary’ status locally kicking from the left-hand side, Bryn were kept at bay.

15. Peter G. Evans (2PG) 14. John Tidball 13. Sheridan Jeffrey 12. David Preece 11. Robert Williams 10. Ian Philip 9. Peter Evans 1. Phillip Butler 2. Terry Thomas (c) 3. Alan Hill 4. Gary Dawkins (T)  5. R. Harris 6. Ralph Turner (PG) 8. Adrian David 7. Steven Pryce


Taibach II 4-12 Maesteg Quins II

When original 2nd tean full-back selection Illtyd ap Dafydd became unavailable, it opened the way for a little bit of Quins history to occur at The Plough in Taibach.

Moving up from the Thirds came Wayne Whelan and when he took to the field, for the first time in eighty-two years a father and son combination played for the Quins. Although it is unknown who was actually the father and who was the son as Terry insisted he was younger than Wayne!

Two more Quins father / son combos have appeared in the 39 years since.

15. P. Morgan 14. S. Rees 13. Wayne Whelan 12. G. Short 11. S. Grey (T)  10. Phillip Jones 9. Russell Thomas 1. Gareth Griffiths (T)  2. John Davies 3. Wayne Thomas 4. Dennis Brennan 5. Terry Whelan 6. Keith Hood 8. Lester Jones (T)  7. Alun James


Old Cantonians II 15 – 37 Maesteg Quins III

Talking of father and sons, ’two try Dai’ Ronan led the way in this six tries win. Thirteen points from the boot of Alun ‘Bear’ Evans killed off the Cardiff team.

In all, six sons sprung forth from the loins of the fifteen who took to the field for the 3rds on this day who have gone on to play for the Quins. If you look at all three teams on this day, the number of offspring to turn out for the club increases to fifteen.

15. Neil Davies 14. K. Brownhill 13. John Phillips (T)  12. Lawson Lovett 11. Alan Cartlidge 10. Ieuan Richards 9. Alun Evans (5C PG)  1. Lyn Pearce  2. Alan Jones 3. David Ronan (2T)  4. Peter Treharne 5. Jimmy Thomas 6. Norman Cartlidge (T)  8. Phil White (T) 7. John Authors (T)  


Quins conquer conditions and University side

Harlequins (Tir Iarll) 16pts. ; Swansea University 2nds nil

Despite the gale-force wind and heavy rain during their match on Saturday with Swansea University Seconds, Quins still produced the attractive open rugby which has become a feature of their play during their last three games and which is certainly produced dividends.

Quins lost the toss and kicked off into the teeth of the strong wind. They were soon on the attack but the University XV relieved pressure taking play into the Quins 25. David Brown cleverley intercepted a pass near his line and took play to the halfway line.

Jinking Run

Quins opened the scoring when wing forward Conrad Hawes gathered a loose ball outside the Swansea 25 and passed to centre David Brown up in close support. Brown broke clean through the University defence with a jinking run given the defenders no chance whatsoever. His try near the posts was not converted.

The Quins three-quaerters came right into the picture and mounted several attacks handling the greasy ball with apparent ease. G Williams and Malcolm Wilcox came very near to crossing the visitors line but there were no further score until nearly half time. Left wing Cyril John ran hard down the touchline before putting in a high cross kick. Hector Lewis the lively Quins prop forward was at hand to gather and race over for a fine individual effort. The kick failed.

Played well

The University side though trying hard did not seem to be able to settle down in the atrocious conditions. Their forwards played well enough, containing the Quins pack in the tight, but in the loose the home pack definitely had the edge. G. Williams filling the hooking berth for the Quins for the first time had a good game and gave his side an equal share of the ball from the set scrums.

On the resumption Quins still had the edge even though the University boys were settling down better than in the first half. Alfie Bowen at fly half for the home side took every pass given him by scrum half Evan Jones and was instrumental in putting his backs away with some clever running. Alun Griffiths at full back took every advantage of the strong following wind and kept the University forwards running back in defence with some tremendous long range kicks.

Increased lead.

Quins again increased their lead when Elwyn Jones came away from a loose maul mid-field and made good ground before passing to 2nd row forward Colin O'Brien. O'Brien although hard pressed shook off all the opposition I'll run hard from the Swansea twenty-five to score an excellent try under the posts. Alan Griffiths collected the extra points.

Within minutes the Quins had set the seal on the University's hopes. Cyril John received the ball on the left wing and carved his way through a bunch of defenders to score near the posts full stop Alan Griffiths collected a further two points with a good conversion.


Aberafan Reserves 17 – 5 Maesteg Reserves

As Maesteg RFC Reserves, later to be known as the Quins went down to the Wizards second string. This is the match report of the game printed on the following Monday.

In a ‘father / son’ orientated historical theme, the conversion for the Maesteg IIs was kicked by future record breaking Glamorgan batsman Richard Duckfield. Duckfield’s father Tom scored the very first points registered by the Quins with a try versus Tondu II during our club's very first match in 1899.

While the premiers were entertaining Aberavon at Maesteg on Satirday, the 'Old Parish' second string met the Aberavon Reserves and although the lattr side were minus three of their regular backs, they managed to retain their ground record by 17 points to 5.

Maesteg played remarkably well and at half-time led by a try registered by E. Lewis and converted by Duckfield but from the resumption Aberavon, playing with the wind at their backs took the lead and tries were scored by Harold Griffiths, J. Hayes, I. Owen and I. Thomas. W. Wyatt converting one. The tit-bit of tje game was a goal from a mark from the half-line taken by Rev. H. Jones-- a goal that eclipsed Pascoe's the previous Saturday.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments