Maesteg Harlequins RFC | 1st Team 24 - 7 Beddau RFC | 1st Team
Lee Ronan
Try 1
Geraint Evans
Conversion 2
Adam Hillier-rees
Try 1
Stephen Williams
Try 2

Match Report
26 January 2020 / Team News


Saturday January 25th 2020

Maesteg Quins 24 – 7 Beddau

Specsavers-WRU Championship

St. Dwynwen, the Welsh saint of love and lovers eventually looked down upon the Quins and showed them some affection, allowing them to score their fourth and bonus point try in the final second of the match.

Quins wanted to push up the table and go some way to prevent getting embroiled in any form of relegation fight. A very young Beddau, sited in the last of four relegation spots, are desperate to get off the trap-door. For both clubs, it wasn’t a matter of style over substance, how a positive result was achieved didn’t really matter. However, there was lots of movement and willingness to spread the ball.

Scrum, line-out, scrum combined to create the first score, a pushover try for Adam Hillier-Rees converted by Geraint Evans.

Beddau butchered a clear cut chance before minutes later they sustained a movement which saw burly centre Sean Edwards romp over untouched. Morgan Price added the extras.

Edging the line-out contest and commanding the scrum, it was unbelievable how the score remained at seven-all for a long period. There was too much running and passing behind the gain-line without going forward. Thinking on their feet the Quins changed tactic.

Playing more direct rugby, a cracking Evans chip over a fast, flat Beddau back-line caught out the visitors. Lee Ronan gathered and passed to Ryan Lovett who just couldn’t release his hands to sustain the move.

Matthew Tidball began an unceasing movement when he launched himself at the opposing pack with the sole intention of moving forward and setting up phase play. Mike Owen, Lewis Francis and Nathan Ace pounded the defence further. Steve Williams then entered the charge and was driven over to dot down. Evans goaled.

There appeared to be mixed ideas in how best to break Beddau down and focus was lost for a little while. The green and golds came back into the game, only for the Quins defence to repel each advance.

In the second half four fantastic chances were created by a return to directness. Holes appeared by sucking the midfield into the breakdown. Sending the ball up the line, a final pass out to Rhys Costain was intercepted on the retreat. From the ruck, Beddau’s clearance clipped a Quins hand, deflecting it into the path of skipper Steve Williams. Still with a lot to do, Williams took the Roman road to the try-line. Collecting defenders on his fifteen yards surge, he scored to put a twelve points cushion between the teams.

For some reason the referee poured scorn on the attacking Quins scrum which prevented cohesion. Yet still chances were created. Rucking on the Bulldogs try-line the ball was passed out and intercepted.

Ryan Lovett showed great feet and power to break the initial defensive line. Lee Ronan gathered the pass and ran up the centre of the field. Spotting Rhys Costain in space out on the wing, Ronan grubbered across field with precision straight into the path of the winger. Another desperate tackle brought Costain down, but the flyer still had the wherewithal to pop a pass which was knocked on.

Kieran Griffiths popped a pass to Keiron Watkins ten yards out with the line at his mercy. It was a tight decision, but the referee who was in close proximity called a forward pass.

With the minutes ticking away, Gavin Burridge was sent scurrying up the touchline. A pass inside would have certainly sealed a fourth try. For all intents and purposes the replacement looked over only for a tackle from nowhere to knock him into touch.

For all the quality work that created openings for the Quins, only to be lost by excellent last-ditch Beddau tackling or errors of decision making or hands, the final Quins try that gained them an additional league point came from visiting calamity.

With the score at 19-7, a goaled try would gain a losing bonus point and all credit must be given to Beddau for making the effort when in possession deep in their twenty-five. A two handed flick pass had the effect of an openers ‘dead-bat’, the ball going behind the intended recipient and resting nicely on the deck. Lee Ronan swooped on the ball, picked up and dived over to the delight of his team to secure the bonus point.

Next Quins travel away to bottom club Ystalyfera the day after Valentine’s Day. There will certainly be no love on the field, but hopefully the Roman representative of loving devotion will replicate his Welsh counterpart and aid Quins towards victory.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos